Tuesday, August 11, 2009

An Adventure has begun for Sure!

The time with my parents flew by. I don't think that I will ever get completely used to being so far from my parents...we haven't lived in the same state in seven years. I love traveling, but I miss going to lunch with my mom, & having spa days. Maybe one day I will live closer, although I don't particularly want to go back to Bama. I like to be by the water. Anyway, my parents drove me across country...we saw Old Faithful on the way. I had fun spending time with them, and exploring the US:) Before I knew it I was sitting the Seattle airport...for 9 hours no less...and in a daze from exhaustion & anticipation. If my parents had not been with me I would not have made it with my dogs & all my luggage..I am so thankful that they were there with me. Our flight left at 5 am and I slept for the first 7! I woke up in time to eat dinner at 6:30 in the morning:) What I was not anticipating was the FIVE hour cab ride to base...omw. We didn't even go that far! It was the insanely terrible traffic! I hope that I never ever get caught in that again. And yes I regret to say that it is true...people here drive like maniacs, but surprisingly have few accidents from what I hear. I am TERRIFIED to start driving! I keep walking to the wrong side of the car to get in..everything is backwards to me:( I know several Japanese women who will not drive & now I know why!!
Eric did a great job finding us a house. I'm not sure how we landed this place..it is a block from the beach & appears to be an expensive resort area. The emperor's summer home is nearby. Anyway, I'm not complaining...we will likely NEVER live in an area like this again so I better not get used to it:)Even the Denny's here is on the water. That cracked me up. I am adjusting...but I so wish I spoke Japanese & read Kanji! I hate pointing to things on the menu, it feels SO rude! (It is comforting to know that Coca-cola is universal...I think;)I am trying to learn the language.
Oh, one more thing....it is the hottest, dripping wet, stifling humidity, unrelenting heat that I have ever felt...I'm serious...no exaggeration! As I sit here writing at 4:10 in the afternoon I am dripping wet...tmi, I know.

2 comments:

EmilySullins said...

You're going to be just fine. I've heard other people say that driving is crazy here, but that TRULY hasn't been my experience. It's a little odd getting used to the scooters and the cars stopped on the side of the road, but most people observe the speed limits and stick to their own lanes. MUCH better than driving in Italy or many other countries. Or Boston, for that matter.

I was looking at some of my blogs from this time last year, when I was a newbie - you're light years ahead of my attitude. :) Stay cool and let's hang out again soon.

ImaginaryCanary said...

I am so proud of you for being so brave! You are unstoppable! You are going to be speaking Japanese and reading Kanji in no time! Then you can teach me when I get there. yay!